7 Dorm Room Fire Hazards and How to Avoid Them
Living in dorms can be a challenge for college students who survive on Ramen, while it is a matter of worry for their parents. One of the biggest concern for students are dorm room fire hazards. Fire breakouts can occur for various reasons, ranging from a short circuit to incendiary item igniting. This is why colleges have strict policies for what students can bring in or store in their dorms.
Read the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) stats on dorm room fires.
Here are 7 common dorm room fire hazards that and how they can be avoided:
1. Forgotten Candles
College students decorate their dorm rooms with candles. Forgetting to blow out lit candles is one of the most common, human mistakes which could risk students their lives. So double check the candles you’ve lit before leaving the dorm. Or better yet, pick up some flameless candles – all the ambiance, none of the risk.
2. Hot Plates
Students bring hot plates in dorm rooms so they can cook. Forgetting to unplug the appliance may sound insignificant but it doesn’t take too long to catch fire. Especially when there are any flammable items around, such as papers, napkins, etc. Be sure to keep the area around the hot plate clear and always unplug the appliance when you are finished.
Understanding the busy schedule of college students is not rocket science. They work hard to earn their degree. Busy schedules and tight budgets lead to students eating microwaveable food items. The risk of fire comes when there is something greasy that was not cleaned out or if you mistakenly leave metal (silverware, foil, etc.) in there. Keep microwaves clean and free of anything metal.
Many colleges have a strict policy for the type of lighting to be used in dorm rooms. Items such as halogen lamps generate a lot of heat and can potentially set fire to curtains, books or papers. Make sure you set any lighting up in a safe area and that it complies with school policy.
5. Space Heaters
Space heaters can cause a blazing havoc in case they’re placed dangerously close to combustible items or if left running for long periods of time. Make sure to only use space heaters while you are in the room and awake.
6. Overloaded Electrical Outlets
Many of us use surge protectors to manage our electronics’ wires and protect them in situations like lightning strikes. Connecting multiple power strips together can overload the circuit and potentially cause a fire. Be sure to use one power strip on one plug.
7. Charging Devices
Mobile phones and tablets can get hot while they charge. Be sure to charge them in an area that has good airflow, not in places that collect heat such as next to your pillow.
Being aware of situations that may be fire hazards is a great way to be preventative. You can never be too safe when it comes to fire.
Prevent helps hospitals and commercial facilities keep their fire barrier in compliance to be prepared for a fire and buy time to evacuate the building.
For more information, call 1-887-392-6074 or request a free quote.