If you read the The Importance of Fire Doors, you know that a fire door is not just any ordinary door. It is made differently, functions differently and deserves your special attention. Why? A fire door is one of the main defenses against the spread of fire and smoke to bordering areas of your building. During a serious fire, fire rated wall assemblies can become defensive lines. If fire door assemblies are not working properly it puts your building and its occupants at serious risk. What are some common fire door deficiencies to look out for that need immediate repair?
The Door Security and Safety Foundation provides awareness, education and research to promote secure and safe openings that enhance life safety. They support the annual fire/egress door inspection initiative by creating awareness of NFPA 80 & 101 standards. Through their research they outlined The Top Ten Fire Door Deficiencies:
1. Painted or missing fire door labels.
2. Poor clearance dimensions around the perimeter of the door in the closed position
3. Kick down door holders
4. Auxiliary hardware items that interfere with the intended function of the door (barrel bolts and dead bolts, etc)
5. Fire doors blocked to stay in the open position
6. Area surrounding the fire door assembly blocked by furniture, equipment and/or boxes
7. Broken defective or missing hardware items (latch bolts and/or strike plated, closer arms, cover plates, etc)
8. Fire exit hardware installed on doors that are not labeled for use with fire exit hardware
9. Missing or incorrect fasteners
10, Bottom flush bolts that do not project ½” into the strike
Want more details? Take a look at this article that was published about these deficiencies in Life Safety Digest
PREVENT has Intertek Certified Door Inspectors on staff. With their extensive DHI and Intertek training you’ll never have to worry about a non-compliant fire door.
Schedule your inspection & repair today!
PREVENT can assist your facility with fire door compliance and deliver the reports that keep you complaint.
We’d love to hear from you. Whether you have a fire door inspection coming up, need fire damper repairs or a quote for a specific life safety service, we’re here to help – just give us a call, or click below for a free quote.